- This event has passed.
39th Annual Lobbycon
March 23 @ 8:30 am - 11:30 am
One event on March 24, 2019 at 8:30 am
One event on March 25, 2019 at 8:30 am
ASA has lobbied law makers for over 39 years and this year we will be lobbying law makers again for more funding to higher education. Register here and join ASA for a three day conference.
If you have any questions Email: Cesar@azstudents.org
ASA lobbying Accomplishments
1. in 1989, ASA fought to have two students on the Arizona Board of Regents and fought for one of them to have voting power. Student regent received voting power in 1989.
2. State funding for financial aid and dormitory appropriations.
3. Defeated bill in 1988 that tried to require students to pre-pay rent in dorms.
4. 1989, ASA established the Arizona based financial aid also known as Arizona Financial Aid Trust (AFAT). Students pay 1% of resident undergraduate tuition into a trust to provide state-based financial aid. The state then matches those funds.
5. In 1990, ASA computerized the course equivalence guide for students to use when transferring from community colleges to universities, increasing the state allotment granted to each university and changing the designations of “under 21” driver’s licenses.
6. In 1991, ASA advocated for a tuition freeze at all 3 universities.
7. In 2006, ASA advocated for polling sites at college campuses.
8. 2018, introduced an amendment on the floor of the budget committee to give instate tuition for DACA recipients.